Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada.

At the port of entry, the border service officer may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. If so, they’ll put the date you need to leave by in your passport. They might also give you a document.

If you don’t get a stamp in your passport, you can stay for 6 months from the day you entered Canada or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

If you need a stamp, you can ask a border services officer for one. If you arrive at an airport that uses primary inspection kiosks, ask the border officer after you finish at the kiosk.

If you want to stay longer than your authorized stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the authorized end of your stay.

Primary Inspection Kiosks

If you arrive at one of Canada busiest international airports, you can now verify your identity and make an on-screen declaration using primary inspection kiosks.

The CBSA, in collaboration with airport authorities, began introducing these new kiosks in March 2017 and continued installing them at Canada’s major airports.

How to use the kiosks

  1. Step 1: Scan your travel document
  2. Step 2: Take your photo
  3. Step 3: Verify your fingerprints (only for select foreign nationals and permanent residents)
  4. Step 4: Answer a few questions to complete your declaration
  5. Step 5: Take your kiosk receipt to a border services officer

Up to 5 travellers with the same place of residence can use a kiosk together.

Who can use the kiosks?

  • Most travellers arriving in Canada by air, including returning residents and foreign nationals.
  • Each kiosk is fully accessible, in compliance with Canadian standards

Who cannot use the kiosks?

  • Travellers with a non-machine-readable travel document
  • Unaccompanied minors

These travellers will be directed to a border services officer for in-person processing.

Special Services

  • NEXUS members should continue to use dedicated NEXUS kiosks for expedited processing or can opt to use a passport for regular processing at a Primary Inspection Kiosk.
  • Foreign representatives (diplomats) and their families should continue to use the special services counter for in-person processing.

Where to find them

Kiosks are available at the following locations:

  • Vancouver International Airport – YVR
  • Calgary International Airport – YYC
  • Edmonton International Airport – YEG
  • Winnipeg Richardson International Airport – YWG
  • Terminal 3 of Toronto Pearson International Airport – YYZ
  • Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport – YTZ
  • Ottawa International Airport – YOW
  • Montreal-Trudeau International Airport – YUL
  • Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport – YQB
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport – YHZ

Passport stamping for permanent residents and foreign nationals

  • The CBSA no longer stamps all passports at airports with Primary Inspection Kiosks.
  • If you need a stamp in your passport as a proof of entry into Canada you must request a stamp from a border services officer after completing a kiosk transaction.
  • If your passport is not stamped, you are only authorized to stay in Canada for up to 6 months from the day you initially entered Canada, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

If the border services officer authorizes a period of stay of some other duration, either more or less than 6 months, the officer may issue you a document and should stamp your passport indicating the date by which you must leave Canada.