Who needs to show proof of funds and who does not?

Applicants to the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) are required to present proof of funds to meet the minimum eligibility requirements for these programs.

Meanwhile, Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applicants as well as immigration applicants who are authorized to work in Canada and hold a valid job offer are not required to provide proof of funds. This remains true even for FSWP and FSTP applicants who meet these conditions.

Understanding who qualifies as a member of the family

For these purposes, members of a family include the principal applicant, their dependent children, their spouse or common-law partner and any dependent children of the applicant’s spouse/partner.

Note: The applicant’s spouse/partner and the spouse/partner’s dependent children should be included as members of the family for proof of funds even if they are themselves permanent residents (PRs)/Canadian citizens or they are not coming to Canada alongside the applicant

In the case that an applicant’s spouse/partner will be accompanying them to Canada, funds held in a joint account may be counted towards proof of funds. Funds held in an account under only the spouse/partner’s name can be counted as well, assuming the principal applicant can prove they have access to the money.