Tips and hints for improving your vocabulary. Click below to know more!
The first thing to think about is what does it really mean to know a new word? To learn a new word you need to find out:
definition – What does the word mean?
• Spelling – How is the word written?
• Pronunciation – How is the word spoken and what is the stress?
• Grammar – Is it a verb, noun, or adjective? Can it change and if so, does this affect the spelling or pronunciation?
• Collocation – What other word or words does it naturally go with? E.g. fast + food.
• How is the word used? – It’s a good idea to write example sentences in your vocabulary records.
• Synonyms & antonyms – What words have a similar or the same meaning? What, if any, words have the opposite meaning.